Kingsport Gala Days
Gala Day June 24th, 2017
This is a general overview of Gala Day as it stands at the present time. Confirmation of events and times will be posted after the next Gala Day meeting. Volunteers, as always, are most welcome to help in whatever capacity. This year the date for Gala Day is June 24th, 2017.
The community hall will be the focal point of the bake sale, model train exhibits, arts and crafts as well as the place to buy tickets for the Chicken BBQ. The very popular fish chowder and strawberry lunch will be available at the United Church beginning at noon.
Many of the traditional Gala Day events such as the parade, Chicken BBQ, fireworks etc. will be on the schedule for this year. Hopefully there will be classic cars to drool over as well as a variety of displays and events at the park.
“Race Against the Tide” with Christine Heap in charge is scheduled Saturday morning. The Kings Community Concert Band will return this year with an outdoor concert on Gerry’s Anderson’s lawn in the afternoon.
At approximately 2:00 pm there will be a ceremony at the wharf to celebrate the opening of an accessibility ramp and deck which were constructed with financial assistance from the Community ACCESS-ability Program, Nova Scotia Department of Community Services.
As present Bingo and 50/50 are in need of volunteers to organize and run. If you are interested please indicate through an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
The next Gala Day meeting will be May 7th at 1 pm at the community hall. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Gala Days 2016
The Gala Day Committee and the Kingsport Community Association wish to thank all of the Businesses, Organizations and Volunteers that helped make Gala Days such a success this year.
|Municipality of Kings County|
|Absolutely Fabulous Bed, Bath & Home||Kentville Toyota|
|Acadia University Athletics||Ken-Wo Golf Club|
|Adeline/Fat Cats||Kingsport Osteopathic Clinic|
|Blomidon Winery||Landing Spa|
|Boston Pizza||Longspell Farm|
|Boy Scouts of Canada||Maple Leaf Home Hardware Building Centre|
|Calvin Rogers Electrical Ltd.||Maxwell’s Quality Footwear|
|Canadian Tire||Milne Court Petro Canada|
|Canning Auto Service||North’s Auto Body|
|Canning District & Recreation||Oakview Farm and Greenhouse|
|Canning Value Foods||Ocean Zn & Decor|
|Cllinic Pharmacy (2002) Ltd.||Oulton Fuels Ltd.|
|Cluff’s Electric Ltd.||Parkers Satellite and Tech Shop|
|Coffill’s Auto Repair||Petro Canada – New Minas|
|Coles Book Store||Pharmasave – Coldbrook|
|Cross Country TV Ltd.||Pharmasave – Wolfville/Canning|
|D&M Ultramar Service Centre||Planter’s Ridge Winery|
|Dairy Queen||Port Pub|
|deGraaf’s Kwik-Way & Café||Port Williams Feeds ‘N Needs|
|Dr. Rob MacGregor||Porter’s Custom Trophy & Engraving|
|Ederkins Farm Market and Bakery||Rewards Dept Store Coldbrook|
|EOS Fine Foods Ltd.||Sobeys|
|Escape Esthetics by Renee||Sport Chek|
|Gerry’s Nursery||Summit Hyundai|
|Golden Touch Hair Design||The Odd Bookstore|
|Great Valley Juice||Tin Pan Alley|
|Hennigar’s||Tiszta Viz Spa|
|Herbin Jewellers||Vail’s Laundry|
|JD Seaman MD Services Inc.||Valley Credit Union|
|John Lohr, MLA Kings North||Valley Volkswagon|
|Jordan’s||VanOostrum Farm Equipment|
|Julie Skaling Physio||Village of Canning|
|Kentville Nissan||West Nova Fuels|
|White Family Funeral Home|
We would also like to thank residents who made a financial contribution to Gala Days.
|Every effort has been made to recognize the numerous donations made to
Kingsport Gala Days. We appreciate your support.
Visit the Gala Days Photo Album 2016
Additional pictures can be found on Facebook.
Gala Days Events that took place in 2016
SATURDAY AGENDA June 25th
COMMUNITY WIDE EVENTS
Yard Sales: 8 am
Tides In Canteen open: 11am-9:50 pm
50/50 Tickets on sale all day – See our roving Ticket Sellers for your chance to win!
Parade 1:30 pm Back by Popular Demand!
Parade route: Begins on Church Street – Longspell Road – Water Street -Pier Road – and back to Church Street. Bring sunscreen and lawn chairs.
- Valley Princesses
- Antique Tractors
- Classic Cars
- Marching bands
- Canning Legion Color Party
- Biker club – Retired members of the Military
- New Entries Welcome
Paint the Town – The Kingsport Painting Society invites everyone to come out and “Paint the Town” on Saturday June 25th from 10-12 am. We will meet at the Wharf at 10 am and go from there. Paintings will be put on display for all to enjoy at the Lloyd Centre in the afternoon. Please bring your own art supplies and a chair as we will paint outdoors. If it is raining, we will meet on the porch of the Kingsport Osteopathic Clinic. Everyone is welcome. No experience necessary!
- Members of the Kingsport Painting Society will paint in the community
- Gala Day participants are welcome to watch the artists as they paint
- Paintings will be on display at the Lloyd Memorial Centre later in the afternoon
Fireworks – Saturday 10 pm (Rain Date – Sunday 10 pm)
LLOYD MEMORIAL CENTRE EVENTS
Coffee and Muffins: 9 – Noon – Free will offering
Bake Sale: 9:30 – Noon
Displays 10 am – 1 pm
- Historic Train Display – Paul Bushnell
- Model of Kingsport in the 1800’s – Paul Bushnell
- Train Display – Dan Conlin, Curator at Pier 21
- Sun Porch Pottery Demonstration and Exhibit-Jane Harrington
- Annapolis Valley Decorative Artists Quilt display and ticket sale
- Antique toy display – Marion Woolaver
- Aboriginal and Craft Exhibit – Bobbi Labrador
- Frank Woolaver will have their antique tractors on display outside the Lloyd Centre for all to view.
BBQ Chicken Dinner: 4:30 pm $12 per Dinner
Enjoy a half-chicken dinner with potato salad, coleslaw, and dinner roll.
Chicken BBQ Tickets available 10 am – 1 pm , Park Canteen 1 – 4:30, and at the Door.
KINGSPORT PARK AND AREA
Race Against the Tide – 3km & 5km Beach Runs: 9:30 Start
- Registration 8:15 at the Wharf
- $5 Registration Fee
Yoga on the Lawn with Melanie Amos: 11 am
- Location – The Eaton property at the beach end of Pleasant Street
- Participants Welcome
- Kingsport Fitness and Wellness Society – follow them on Facebook
Emmanuel United Church Luncheon: 12 Noon
- Chowder and Strawberry Short Cake Luncheon sponsored by the Emmanuel United Church and the St. Thomas Anglican Church.
Park Canteen Noon – 3pm
- Hot dogs
- Chili dogs
Bingo in the Park Pavilion: 1 pm – 5 pm
- 50+ prizes donated by local businesses and residents
- Bingo Cards – 3 cards per sheet: 1 Sheet 50 Cents/4 Sheets $2/10 Sheets $5
Classic Car Display : 2 pm-5 pm
- Located on the MacDonald property – Water Street
- Participating Car owners – win a $50 gas card!
SPCA Booth: 2 pm – 5 pm
- Animals to meet!
Children’s Games: 2 pm -5 pm
- Games are Free!
Washer Toss Tournament: 2 pm – 5 pm
- Teams of 2
- $5 per person to play
- Any age any combination
Kings County Concert Band Under the Big Tent – 2 pm -3 pm
- Location – The Anderson property adjacent to the United Church
- Bring your lawn chair
Tai Chi demonstration: 3:00 pm
- Steve Miller and his group will perform a Tai Chi demonstration. All are welcome to watch.
Evening Music at the Wharf with “The Test of Time“
FIREWORKS – 10pm
SUNDAY AGENDA June 26th
Ecumenical Church Service – 9:30 am
- Emmanuel United & St. Thomas Anglican Church
- All are welcomeSoccer-Golf on the Beach! 11 am – Meet at the walkway to the beach!
- Contestants will play a 9 Hole game of soccer-golf on the Kingsport Beach (east side) where a soccer ball is kicked and each kick is counted until the player ‘hits’ the target. Each of the Nine holes is a Par 3!
- The lowest 9 Hole score will win a prize! Games are free! Score cards and Ball are included.
Sandcastle Competition 10-12 am – Meet at the beach by the wharf.
Sandcastle Competition sponsored by Kingsport Osteopathy Clinic. Enjoy another new event! The first annual Sandcastle Building Competition. Come and join the fun!
- Get a team together and come out to play in the sand.
- Lemonade on hand and prizes to be won!
- Admission Free!
Family Scavenger Hunt: 1 pm
- Meet at the Wharf
- Bring a camera
- Admission Free!
Canoe/Kayak Event 3 pm – 5 pm
- Meet at the Wharf at 3 pm
- Bring your own boat
- Admission Free!