Kingsport Community Association
Three Upcoming Events
1. Discover your inner artist at “PAINT NIGHT” with Heather Alexis Porter and Jen White – February 18th from 1-4pm at the Lloyd Memorial Hall. $45.00 includes all supplies, a snack and a glass of wine. Contact Jan White at 902.582.1433. There is still space available for additional participants. Should be a fun afternoon!
2. GALA DAY INITIAL MEETING: Sunday Feb.19, 2017 at the Lloyd Centre starting at 1pm to discuss the following:
· Selection of Gala Day Committee Chair for 2017 (Richard Foot will not be Chair this year)
· Date for Gala Day taking into consideration Canada 150 Celebrations
· Suggestions for the number of events to be included in this year’s Gala Day
· Any additional suggestions
In addition to being a full day of activities and events which attract people to our community, Gala Day is a major fundraiser. Volunteers are always needed to help out in a variety of areas. “Many hands make light work” . Please consider donating some of your time to this important day.
3. KFWS is offering the following: Free Seminar on First Aid Awareness/ Basic Fire Prevention to be held Saturday March 11thfrom 12-4pm at the Lloyd Memorial Hall, Kingsport. The talk will be presented by Bruce Cruickshank Firefighter/Paramedic with the Canning Volunteer Fire Department. To register or to receive additional information please contact Melanie Amos at 902.300.6300 or Paula Ede-Venoit at 902.582.1279
4. COMMUNITY FACILITIES IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM
At the January 23rd KCA monthly meeting the KCA BOD and Grants Committee received approval to proceed with an application for funding from the NS Community Facilities Improvement Program (CFIP).
The application process has begun; the deadline is February 28th, 2017.
The Program Goals, as stated in the Guidelines are:
The Community Facilities Improvement Program targets the following areas:
· Improve and expand existing community facilities operated by not-for-profit organizations:
· Improve the functionality and enhance sustainability of existing community facilities;
· Celebrate culture, heritage, and diversity.
As you can see, if we are successful the funds will be used solely for the Lloyd Memorial Centre in Kingsport. Some ideas were gathered at the last community meeting and will again be requested at the February community meeting. However, we still would like to have any other ideas from the residents of Kingsport and Medford as to what improvements and upgrades you would suggest.
Please send your ideas and suggestions to any of the following:
Charlene MacLellan: 902-582-3151; firstname.lastname@example.org
Liz Huyer: 902-698-2164; email@example.com
Valerie Simmons: 902-233-3889; firstname.lastname@example.org
Merle MacDonald: 902-582-7279; email@example.com
CALL OUT FOR VOLUNTEERS
The community of Kingsport, as is the case with other communities large or small, depends on the contribution of volunteers in order to maintain and improve this community. I have listed a number of committees along with the name of the present Chair if you wish to contact them and offer a donation of your time. New energy and new ideas are always welcome!
Board of Directors: Charlene MacLellan- President. An addition of 1 or 2 members would bring our board up to full membership
Waterfront Committee: present Chair Barry Schaffner
Gala Day Committee: See previous information re meeting
Building and Maintenance Committee: present Chair Richard Foot
The February KCA General Meeting is scheduled for Thursday the 23rd beginning at 7pm. See you there!!